Thursday, July 11, 2013

Coincidence?! I think not!

Many of you already know that we recently found out Nathan is going to need surgery. What started as a little blood in his diaper led to a diagnosis of an obstruction in his urethra. Because of this obstruction his bladder is not fully emptying and urine is seeping back into his kidney. The surgery is minor but will require an overnight stay in the hospital.

Our heartfelt thanks goes out to those of you who have been praying. We have been surrounded with God's peace throughout this ordeal.  Ben and I are also thankful our Pediatrician was thorough in the tests she ordered. We are seeing a Pediatric Urologist at Cedars Sinai and are confident in his knowledge and skill to help our son. 

The fact that we are seeing a Pediatric Urologist is quite ironic, especially for my husband, since most of his childhood was spent in the office of one.  You see my husband was born with a birth defect called estrophy of the bladder. Without getting into too many details, when Ben was born his bladder was not developed correctly and was not in the right place. It took many surgeries in order for his bladder to function normally.  In fact according to the Doctor, Ben is among the top thirty percent of people with his condition since his bladder is still working. Many people born with this defect end up losing their bladder by the time they are 16.

The irony for me continues though. Nathan is not our biological child and does not share the genes Ben and I have. Yet our son is now experiencing some of the very same things my husband experienced as a child. Coincidence? I think not. In fact it becomes even more clear to me why God chose Nathan to be our son and us to be his parents! 

I wonder if God laughs when I am amazed by His working in our lives.  Psalms 139:16 says, "Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them". God knew exactly what he was up to! And he doesn't just have a plan for the here and now but for the future too! I find myself so grateful to have a Father in Heaven that has a plan for my life. When I want to run away in fear and not trust it is these moments I will remind myself of.

No comments:

Post a Comment