Sunday, February 2, 2014

Love is Blind

Today, I realized that something I learned in our adoption classes has come true.  Back when we were becoming certified to adopt one of the things I struggled with was whether or not I would be able to adopt a transracial child.  (You can read the original post here).  If you've seen pictures of our son, it's obvious we didn't let the color of our child's skin become the deciding factor in taking him home.

I still remember a comment a fellow adoptive mom of transracial children said before we even had met Nathan.  She said that although many other people are quick to notice and point out the difference between her children's skin color and her own, she often forgets there is any difference at all.  At the time I wondered if I chose to adopt a transracial child if that would be the case for me.

Today I realized it was true!  I do not sit at home and hold Nathan's hand in mine examining the differences in tone and color.  When I'm out and about running errands and living life the fact that Nathan's skin is darker than mine rarely crosses my mind.  In fact, sometimes I'm caught off guard when people do stare or ask if Nathan is my son.

With Nathan being our first (and for now only) child it's hard to explain the love I have for him.  Some people when choosing whether or not to adopt have often said they wonder if they will be able to love a child that is not biologically their own.  I guess this thought may have crossed my mind but from the moment we met Nathan it felt like he had been ours all along.  The color of his skin had nothing to do with the fact that we fell in love with him the moment we first met him.

I'm not sure how to conclude this post so all I will say is that Love really is blind!  I'm so glad God knew what he was doing when he brought Nathan into our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment