Thursday, June 2, 2011

Something better?

A close friend of mine posted this quote today on facebook:

The ache and emptiness we sometimes experience is proof that we were made for something better.

This quote really spoke to me today and where I am in life right now.  Although I am excited to be moving forward with our adoption journey there are times that I still ache and feel empty.  I am going to have a baby--but it's not going to look or feel the same as everyone else at times.  Everything I have been doing in the adoption has been purposeful and intentional.  Sometimes it's hard not to be resentful over that fact.  I have to tell everyone I am having a baby--since it's not obvious by looking at my belly.  I have to raise money and ask for funds, instead of accumulating gifts for my baby.  I have to remind people when my baby is coming since I don't have a due date that I'm working towards.  I don't get to use my short term disability while on leave like all other soon to be mommies since I'm not actually "having" a baby.  I have to be "ready at any moment" for up to a year instead of waiting for labor pains to set in during my last month of pregnancy.  These are the things that sometimes remind me that I'm not going about becoming a mother like everyone else is and thus lead me to feeling empty.

However if I end this post now I won't be addressing the latter part of the quote.  The "something better" part!  God has something in store that I can't even imagine or fathom.  He knows "the plans he has for me". The "plans to prosper me and not to harm me".  The plans to "give me a hope and a future".  All I can say is thank you Jesus!  When I grow resentful and bitter that I'm not like everyone else remind me that there is "something better" waiting! 

1 comment:

  1. Trust me, God has some amazing plans for you. You both are going to be awesome parents!!!

    ReplyDelete