Monday, August 8, 2011

From Darkness Into Light

This past week I started studying the book of Ruth.  Although it's only four chapters long, there's quite a few nuggets of truth packed in there!  Tonight our teacher focused on darkness becoming light.  In the book of Ruth darkness is everywhere Noami turns.  There is famine in her home land.  Her husband has passed away.  And now her two sons have also died, leaving their young wives as widows.  However God has a plan!  He will turn this darkness into light!  In a series of events Ruth meets Boaz, a close relative of Noami's family, and gives birth to Obed who later gives birth to Jesse, the father of King David!  Noami's family line is redeemed through the birth of one man, Obed.  Just as we are redeemed through the birth, death and resurrection of one man, Jesus Christ! 

As we listened to the lecture our teacher pointed out that throughout the bible God has turned darkness into light.  In Genesis chapter one "darkness was over the surface of the deep" but then God said, "Let there be light and there was light!".  In the beginning of all time God was reminding us of the hope we can find in Him! 

I think back over the last 3 years of infertility.  There has definitely been some dark times.  But God has always had a plan to bring light into our lives.  In our case that light is coming from the hope we are finding in adoption.

Isaiah 45:7:
I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things.

God sees the good, the bad, and the ugly.  As the notes of my life application bible state: "God is the ruler over light and darkness, over prosperity and disaster.  Our lives are sprinkled with both types of experiences, and both are needed for us to grow spiritually".  Even amidst the dark times Jesus is empowering me with his life giving hope as he reminds me of the plan he has for my life.

I am so glad I serve a God who has the ability to turn darkness into light!  What darkness are you living in right now?  What trials are you going through?  Find hope in God and take refuge in the fact that He can and will turn your darkness into light!

"I wait for you, O Lord;
you will answer, O Lord my God."
Psalm 38:15

No comments:

Post a Comment