Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Special Friend

Four school years ago I transferred to a new district, new school and new grade level (I know, a lot in one year, right?!) and met a girl named Crystal.  If you ask her to this day she'll tell you when she first met me she thought I was pretty weird!  I'm glad my "weirdness" faded because I don't know where I would be without this special friend!

Early on in the school year we connected.  First we started planning together.  Then we slowly started sharing bits and pieces of our lives with one another.  I remember her telling me how excited she was about her relationship with God that had only recently been taken to a deeper level.  I also remember sharing how Ben and I had been trying to get pregnant for six months.  When Crystal and her husband started the process of trying to start a family and had difficulty as well, our bond only grew stronger. 

Our playground and recess duty together became a time for us to share our struggles and hearts with one another.  We also found time outside of school together.  We started a tradition of holiday baking that I'm proud to say is still going strong four years later!  

As our battle with infertility continued Crystal was there for me in a way that a lot of other friends could not be--since she also was struggling with the same thing!  When friends all around us continued to get pregnant with little or no effort we relied on each other for support.  

I still remember the day when Crystal announced that she was going to start the adoption process--she didn't know when--but she felt at peace with her decision and excited too!  Ben and I were also considering adoption at that point but I didn't have a peace about it like Crystal did.  It wasn't until I hit rock bottom after the announcement of another friend's pregnancy that I was at peace about starting the adoption process in hopes of growing our family.

Ben and I started the adoption process in March of 2011 and Crystal and Bobby started just a few short months later in June.  

Crystal and I have often remarked how God knew what he was doing when he brought us together.  We've been able to walk the lonely road of infertility together and now...I am excited to announce...we are also able to walk the road of motherhood together!  Just this last week Bobby and Crystal received a call that their little girl was here!  In a very similar situation to ours Bobby and Crystal got a call from the adoption agency we both used saying a woman had given birth and wanted to place her baby for adoption.  I am so excited for my dear and close friend!  

I have been a roller coaster of emotions (sadly to say PMS is probably mostly to blame) this past week as I have been able to watch my friend experience the joy of becoming a Mommy.  I don't think I even cried this much when we received Nathan!  There's just something different about watching an adoption take place from an outsider's perspective.  God is so amazing in how he orchestrates these events with such precision and grace! I have been in awe of how he is working in the lives of my friend and this precious baby girl that is now becoming a part of their family!

I love you so much Crystal and thank God daily for our friendship!  

If you'd like to follow Crystal and Bobby's adoption journey you can check out their blog:  No Handlebars

Here's a picture of Crystal and I...holding our babies with pride!




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post!! I have a couple girlfriends that will bring me to tears when I see them become mothers, because of our enduring struggles together :)

    ReplyDelete