Saturday, July 19, 2014

Potty Training Day 2

All I can say about today is I can see why people have given up on day 2 of this method!  Today was ROUGH!  The novelty of using the potty and getting a treat afterwards has wore off big time.  

He didn't want to go.  
He didn't tell us when he needed to go (unless it was time for a nap or night time-go figure!)  
And when we rushed him into the bathroom mid-pee he would scream and throw a fit and often refused to stay on the toilet to finish the job.  

We are pretty sure he needs to poop and of course that isn't happening either.  I will say that I kept it together and did not yell or scream in frustration.  Instead I reverted to tears.  Nathan didn't know what to think!  

I think the tears started today because I'm worried there may be something wrong.  Last summer Nathan had a posterior valve resection.  In layman's terms that means he had surgery to remove a blockage in his urethra.  Because this blockage had been present since birth it may have caused the walls of his bladder to thicken which in turn can make it harder to pee.  I know I'm borrowing trouble here but it's hard not to think about the possibility of there being something wrong.  

At this point Ben and I are committed to seeing the full 3 days through.  Our boy is one smart cookie.  If we were to put him back in diapers or pull-ups attempting to go potty throughout the day would go out the window.  Why stop playing to pee on the toilet when you can just pee right there?!  And if we tried to do pull-ups just at nap & night I can see our boy easily holding it until the pull up was on and he could go in his bed by himself.  

Amidst the frustration of this day as far as potty training goes we still managed to squeeze in one new fun activity.  Nathan tried out "Bingo Daubers":



He likes to draw with them more than "daub"

Here's to hoping Day 3 goes much better!  Tomorrow we'll be celebrating the Sabbath from home and thanking Jesus for every victory in the toilet  (no matter how big or small)!  



No comments:

Post a Comment