Monday, July 21, 2014

Potty Training Day 4

With the success we had at the end of the day yesterday I went to bed motivated to start this week as a single parent  (Ben is away at Camp for the week) and continue our potty training journey.  I wish I could say my motivation lasted...but it didn't.

Nathan was soaked from head to toe upon waking.  I expected this to happen and chose not to wake him in the night based on my experience the night before of him not to going back to bed.  He needed his sleep!

We had a few successful pees in the potty when bribed with stickers toward his next prize and he even stayed dry during room time and came and told me when he needed to go pee.

I decided to venture out of the house and prayed for no major accidents.  We went to Wal Mart and checked out the bathroom while we were there so Nathan could see what it would be like.  But no potty breaks since he said he didn't need to go.  Then we went to our Bagels & Blenderz and ate there. We checked out the bathroom there as well on our way out but again no potty breaks.

When we got home I made him take off his shorts since we were home and because I wanted to keep an eye on his undies in case he had an accident.  Upon taking them off I noticed he was wet and rushed him to the bathroom to finish on the toilet.  This is where the day started going downhill.  He had no interest in finishing on the potty and had accident after accident not wanting to go.  Even if I placed him on the potty as he was peeing!

I think the final straw for me was when I asked him why he didn't tell Mommy his undies were wet and he said because he wanted to eat his snack instead.  If he doesn't care about being wet I don't know what I can do to make him care.  All the snacks, treats, and prizes in the world weren't cutting it.

I still had some pride left so I thought to myself that if I put him in pull-ups instead of diapers (believe it or not we had not tried pull ups with him at all up to this point) maybe I won't be counted as a total failure.

Little did I know that putting on pull-ups would prove to be a traumatic experience for my son.  He screamed bloody murder insisting he be allowed to wear his underwear.  I told him that we needed to put a pull up on if we weren't going to keep our underwear dry.  I told him if he went in the potty he could keep them on.  He refused.  As all of this is happening he is starting to pee all over the floor and me. I got the pull up on him and he throws a huge tantrum and says it's hurting and is inconsolable.  I now feel like the World's Worst Mother on Earth.

Later when he calms down I explain to him that if he wants to wear his underwear he needs to pee on the potty and stay dry.  I think he gets it.  But I'm not sure.  And at this point have no energy to think any more about it.

As I'm sitting here writing this post who but my son should call out saying he needs to go the bathroom?  I take him.  He sits and pees.  Claps for himself and goes back to bed.  The irony!

Tomorrow I don't plan on mentioning the word potty unless Nathan brings it up.  Maybe he will. Maybe he won't.  




No comments:

Post a Comment