Sunday, July 20, 2014

Potty Training Day 3

I woke up today ready to face reality that our 3 day potty adventure might be coming to an end. Yesterday was an awful day and continued into an awful night.  I've been sleeping in Nathan's room to assist him in the middle of the night if he needs to go.  It's taken him forever to fall asleep with one of us in there so he ends up falling asleep a lot later than usual.  To top it off in the middle of the night I heard him stir, asked if he need to go, he said yes and we went.  He was pretty wet but he went in the potty too (always a success).  We returned quickly to bed and the kid would NOT FALL BACK ASLEEP! 3 more trips to the bathroom and an hour and half later and he fell back asleep.  The kid was up from 2:30-4:00!  

Toddlers don't know how to sleep in so we were up at 7 as usual.  The first thing he told me was that he wanted to put his diapers back on.  Trying to make a grumpy sleep-deprived kid do something he doesn't want to do is pure torture.  But I was committed to staying positive and seeing the day through.   

Ben left for camp today at 4 and before he left we talked about what we should do if today ended the same as the night before.  Ben encouraged me to continue while he was away.  I wasn't so sure.  

As I said yesterday Nathan has needed to poop and was still continuing to struggle.  Well today I kept on him to try and go while sitting on the potty.  

And. He. Did!  

We've been bribing him with a prize from our Potty Training Toy Box all weekend if he went poop.  So we immediately gave it to him and he was THRILLED!  When I mentioned he could earn another prize by going pee and earning stickers on a sticker chart he jumped down and said "Mommy, I have to go Potty!".  Music to my ears!!!  IT CLICKED!  He stayed dry from the time he pooped until he went to bed!  And he continued to ask me to go potty!  Amazing!  

We've still got a long road ahead of us and I must admit I'm pretty nervous about venturing outside the house but this was the encouragement I needed to keep going.  When I bought and downloaded the 3 Day Potty Training E-Book I remember reading that the author's first child did not get it until the end of day 3.  But I was sure that wasn't going to be my kid.  Well it was and I couldn't be happier!  Yay Nathan!  Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you!




No comments:

Post a Comment