Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day

To be honest for the last 3 years I would have rather skipped church altogether on  Mother's Day.  Each year it was a painful reminder of what I wasn't: a Mom! 

Although I still am not a "mother" for the first time I feel like I'm on the path to becoming one!  In a way I'm an expectant mother this mother's day--just not in the traditional sense.  I don't have a baby bump.  I'm not exhausted.  I haven't had trouble sleeping.  I don't feel I nausea.  I still fit into my clothes.  But I will one day soon be a Mom! 

On another note....
I love that our church's honor Mother's on their special day, but I have trouble with the fact that so many women also feel excluded on this special day.  What about the woman who lost a child by way of miscarriage or stillbirth?  What about the woman who had an abortion?  What about the woman who placed her child for adoption?  Aren't these women still worth recognizing and honoring?  For some of them, it may have been their choice to not become a mother at one point in time in their life but it still doesn't make them less in God's eyes.  For others, the choice was made for them.

Just something to think about as you celebrate Mother's Day this weekend. Whether you are a mom, was once a mom, are going to be a mom, or want to be a mom I choose to honor and celebrate you!

1 comment:

  1. I read til I started weeping for you Alisha. Precious writing. So honest and your feelings are so fresh and true. My prayers will be with you and Ben. AND..I hope one day to get to see your little one and hug him/her right up. I'm excited to follow your blog. Love, Miz Alli

    ReplyDelete