Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Change has arrived

If you know me I DO NOT like change.  The beginning of the school year is always hard for me because things have changed.  New kids.  New dynamics.  And since the kids don't know anything about the structure and routine of my classroom, nothing is the same from day to day.  It's exhausting! 

Throughout our struggle with infertility I remember telling Ben if we weren't going to have a baby anytime soon that I needed a change.  A move.  A job change.  Something to break up the monotony of life!  As we continued in our journey we would talk to different couples as they brought home their babies.  So many of them told us how much their lives had changed.  From their relationship to their spouse to sleeping to doing whatever they wanted to do whenever they wanted to do it!  Although I wanted a baby and the change a baby brings, if I would have gotten pregnant and brought a baby home, although overjoyed, the change would have been a struggle for me.

Well change has happened around the George household and I am thriving!  Don't get me wrong: the constant interruptions to my sleeping patterns are still something I'll be getting used to for a long while.  But I love the changes in my home that are taking place.  I know it is only because God ordained the timing and all the details of our adoption that I am living day to day in perfect peace.

My favorite new change is the dynamic of my relationship with Ben.  Although Ben and I are very much in love we are also very different.  Literally it seems sometimes like we are two sides of a coin.  We've always joked that if we ever were chosen as contestants on the Amazing Race we would never make it.  And the people watching us would probably think we were destined for divorce.  We think differently. We solve problems differently.  But the differences in our personalities are melding together as we learn how to parent Nathan. 

For the first time (okay maybe the not the first...I tend to exaggerate!) I feel like we are working as a team.  Normally I have my life--school.  Ben has his life--church.  And we find places to make our lives intersect.  Now Nathan has become the center of our lives (not literally--I am not a fan of child centered parenting!) and our lives and personalities are becoming intertwined around him.  I love it!

Bring on the change!

1 comment:

  1. Alisha, I Love to read your jouranls. YOU should write a book.

    ReplyDelete