Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Scientist? Or Parent?

These first few days of parenthood have felt more like a science experiment than anything else.  Each day I feel like Ben and I are conducting experiments on Nathan to see what works for him.  It's almost like going through the scientific method.  We wonder why Nathan is fussy and ask questions: Is he wet?  Hungry?  Tired?  We do research and check his diaper, check when we fed him last and when he slept last.  We create hypotheses:  Maybe he's fussy because he's tired, or hungry or has a dirty diaper.  Then we test our hypotheses out and see if any of them are true.  We analyze our data and then apply what we have learned.  Luckily, some of our experiments are working!  But I know there are a lot more to come in our future...  The many science teachers I've had throughout my school career would be so proud to see I'm applying the principles they taught me so long ago...

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling!!! You are doing great! That first month is a lot of science!!!

    ReplyDelete